- UK/EU/International: UK and EU
- Type of project: Funding schemes
- Funding type: Research council
- Value: UK/EU fees plus stipend for 3.5 years
- Number of awards: 31 across all partner universities
- Deadline: To be confirmed
Around 60 projects will be advertised and will focus on three complementary themes:
- Genetic Influences on Health
- Ageing and Disease
- Bioinformatics and Personalised Medicine
DiMeN uses existing and emerging strengths to deliver a unique, flexible, student-centred programme of training, which combines gateway training and cohort building events with access to advanced level Masters modules, bespoke doctoral level courses, and world class facilities across the partnership.
This partnership draws on expertise of over 1000 experienced supervisors, who collectively sustain high rates of successful doctoral degree completion.
As a DiMeN PhD student, you will benefit from:
- The support of at least two supervisors, ensuring excellent supervision and a cross-disciplinary approach to your research project.
- Access to mentoring schemes for pastoral and academic support outside the normal supervisory schemes
- Cohort gateway skills training sessions in bioinformatics and computational biology, imaging and in vivo experimental techniques
- In depth specialist training in a range of areas relevant to your project, including Bioinformatics and computational biology
- Opportunities to access to bespoke training in a variety of areas including Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Genomic Medicine, Pharmacogenomics, Stratified Health Care and Health Economics.
- Core training events throughout the programme, bringing you together with fellow students to develop your skills in every aspect of being a successful researcher
- Opportunities to develop industrial knowledge and commercial impact skills, plus the generic skills all researchers require to succeed – communication, time management, teamwork and critical thinking.
DiMeN DTP studentships are funded for 3.5 years and include the following annual package of financial support over the duration of the studentship:
- A tax-free maintenance grant set at the UK Research Council's national postgraduate rate.
- Full payment of tuition fees at the Home/EU rate.
- A research training support grant (RTSG) to support your research studies.
- Opportunity to apply to our Flexible Funding awards to further support your training and development needs
Projects for 2019 entry will be advertised in Dec 2018
You should be someone with an outstanding academic track record who can demonstrate your potential to undertake the research project of your choice. You must hold (or be about to obtain) a First or an Upper Second Class UK undergraduate degree or an equivalent degree from a recognised EU institution, in a relevant subject for the projects you are applying to. We welcome in particular applications from students with physical science, machine learning and/or mathematical backgrounds who are interested in using their skills to address the challenges of 21st century bioscience research. DiMeN welcomes applications from both Home and EU students. Successful Home students will receive a full studentship. EU students will be considered for a full studentship or fees only support depending on the excellence of their qualifications and their employment/residency status (www.mrc.ac.uk/skills-careers/studentships/studentship-guidance/student-eligibility-requirements).
How to apply
Please see the MRC DiMeN website for more details on projects and how to apply:
How to apply (email)
How to apply (phone)
0114 22 23615