Dr Mary Friel
- Position: Research Fellow
- Areas of expertise: Animal health and welfare; Animal behaviour
- Email: M.Friel@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 8.21 Manton
- Website: Animal Welfare Epidemiology Lab | Twitter | Researchgate
I joined the University of Leeds as a postdoctoral researcher on the PigSustain in March 2017. I am working with the pig industry to collect and analyse data on pig production, health and welfare. I am also contributing to the development a systems model of the UK pig industry to assess its resilience.
I completed my PhD on welfare indicators in pigs at Queen's University Belfast in 2017.
My research is focused on farm animal health and welfare, sustainable agriculture and systems modelling. I have a background in applied animal welfare research, developing practical indicators of animal welfare and designing interventions to improve animal health and welfare on farm. I am currently conducting epidemiological analysis on large scale pig health and production datasets from the UK to inform a systems model of the UK pig industry on the PigSustain project.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://biologicalsciences.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD Vocalisations as a Welfare Indicator in Pigs, Queen's University Belfast
- MSc Animal Behaviour, University of Exeter
- BA Psychology, Sociology and Politics, NUI Galway
- International Society for Applied Ethology