G Nasir Khan
- Position: Research Laboratory Manager/ CD Facility Manager
- Email: G.N.Khan@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 3014
- Location: 10.117d Astbury
My main duties in this position ensure the smooth running of a very large and highly active laboratory, supporting a large and dynamic research team.
- Ordering of reagents, equipment purchase, repair and maintenance; budget management and balancing costs across a large portfolio of grants from different funding sources.
- Ensuring efficient repair of equipment and ensuring renewal of maintenance contracts where needed; liaising with vendors and advising the PIs on the best sources of reagents and anticipating research needs and equipment needs as research ideas and opportunities develop in the future.
- Reporting building and fabric faults to technical services and ensuring their response.
- Attending our weekly research group and journal club meetings; working closely within the team and training other members where appropriate; assisting with undergraduate/postgraduate experimental work.
- Maintaining commercial & home-made competent cells stock inventory, maintaining DNA archiving for our group, cloning different mutants, sequencing and then archiving.
- Organising demonstrations for new equipment’s/instruments in our lab and train others.
- Day-to-day responsibility for Health and Safety, and COSHH (Control of Substances Hazardous to Health) & Risk Assessments and training in experimental methods.
- Giving local induction to all new students and members of staff who join our group and Alan Berry’s group, and demonstrating how to work in the lab to understand laboratory etiquette, risk assessment, COSHH assessment and fire procedures.
- Attending weekly meeting with Sheena Radford and David Brockwell.
- Running the faculty’s Circular Dichroism (CD) facility, its maintenance and budgetary issues and initial training for users; organising workshops for Circular Dichroism; organising a free week for new users, and making a regular contribution to the FBS newsletter.
- Look after the SER/DJB research laboratories, managing budgets and involve research.
- Managing CD Facility, managing budget, train researcher and analyse data.
- BSc, Pakistan, MSc, Preston, UK