Dr Chris Randall
- Position: Associate Professor of Microbiology
- Areas of expertise: Microbiology education; antibiotic discovery; pre-clinical evaluation of antimicrobial drug candidates; molecular mechanisms of antibiotic resistance.
- Email: C.P.Randall@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 5592
- Location: 5.18 Roger Stevens Building
- Website: Twitter | LinkedIn | Googlescholar | ORCID
Upon completing my Undergraduate degree in Biomedical Science I worked as a diagnostic microbiologist in the medical, veterinary, and food industries before coming to Leeds to obtain my MSc in Bioscience (specialising in infection and immunity).
Following a year working as a research microbiologist at PHE Porton Down, I returned to Leeds to complete my PhD in Molecular Microbiology under the supervision of Dr Alex O’Neill and Professor Ian Chopra. I remained in the O’Neill laboratory for my postdoctoral fellowship, which involved the pre-clinical evaluation of novel antimicrobial drug candidates and elucidating the molecular mechanisms of novel antibiotic resistance determinants.
During the course of my PhD and postdoctoral research I developed a passion for microbiology education and, following mentoring in this area by Dr John Heritage, I was appointed as Teaching Fellow in Medical Bacteriology in 2017, promoted to Lecturer in 2020 and Associate Professor of Microbiology in 2022.
- Faculty Student Education Academic Lead: Curriculum Enhancement
- PhD Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of Leeds
- MSc Bioscience, Infection and Immunity, University of Leeds
- BSc(Hons) Biomedical Science, University of Hull
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Royal Society of Biology (MRSB)
- Microbiology Society (Editor of Microbiology Today)
- American Society of Microbiology