Dr Christian Tiede
- Position: BioScreening Technology Group Manager
- Areas of expertise: DNA library generation; phage display selection; affinity maturation; protein engineering; protein production; protein characterisation; ELISA
- Email: C.Tiede@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 7.111 Astbury
- Since 2016 BioScreening Technology Group Manager at the University of Leeds (Prof. Mike McPherson & Dr. Darren Tomlinson)
- 2011 BioScreening Technology Research Fellow at the University of Leeds (Prof. Mike McPherson & Dr. Darren Tomlinson)
- 2010 Research Scientist at Aptuscan Ltd. in Leeds
- 2010 PhD thesis, Carité-Universitätsmedizin, Berlin, Dept. of Biochemistry (Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Höhne). Thesis on ”Optimised ß-sheet domain for effective expression of Fab fragments in E.coli“
- 2003 Master thesis, Institute of Molecular Pathology (IMP) in Vienna (Jan-Michael Peters Group). Diploma thesis: “Biochemical characterisation of the mitotic protein kinase Aurora-B and its subunits INCENP and Survivin”.
I received my doctorate for “Optimised constant domains for the effective expression of Fab-fragments in E. coli” from the Charite Universitätsmedizin Berlin in 2010. In the same year, I joined Aptuscan Ltd. (now Avacta) in Leeds to set up the Phage Display Technology, which included the generation of the first StefinA based phage libraries. In 2011 I moved to the newly founded BioScreening Technology Group (BSTG) at the University of Leeds to establish the Phage Display Technology for screening the novel non-antibody scaffold Adhiron (now known as Affimer). I was promoted to BSTG manager in 2016.
As BSTG manager I am responsible for the generation of Affimer proteins against a wide range of biological targets for clinicians, academic researchers and industrial partners. This includes setting up a new project to undertaking experimental aspects, managing others where appropriate, presentation of final results and provision of Affimer reagents. Furthermore, I play an important role in supervising and training MSc and PhD students, as well as visitors from a range of other laboratories.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://biologicalsciences.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p> <h4>Postgraduate research opportunities</h4> <p>We welcome enquiries from motivated and qualified applicants from all around the world who are interested in PhD study. Our <a href="https://biologicalsciences.leeds.ac.uk/research-opportunities">research opportunities</a> allow you to search for projects and scholarships.</p>