Dr. David Marples
- Position: Senior Lecturer (Teaching & Scholarship)
- Areas of expertise: Renal physiology; aquaporins; water balance disorders.
- Email: D.D.R.Marples@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 4245
- Location: 6.85 Manton
I trained as a medic at Oxford, and did a D.Phil. in physiology with Ann Taylor before finishing my medical training. After my house jobs, I got back to research as soon as possible, studying collecting duct function and the response to the antidiuretic hormone vasopressin. The discovery of the aquaporin-2 (AQP2) water channel and its role in antidiuresis opened up a whole range of new techniques for studying this system, and led to some exciting discoveries in the pathophysiology of water balance disorders such as nephrogenic diabetes insipidus, in which the kidney is unable to respond normally to vasopressin.
Over the last few years the focus of my work has shifted to teaching and pedagogy, and the associated administrative work! After a few years as the Programme Leader for the Medical Sciences course I am currently serving as Director of Student Education for the "biomedical sciences" group of programmes.
- Director of Student Education
Aquaporins; water balance disorders; computer-assisted learning<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://biologicalsciences.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- MA, DPhil, BM, BCh, Oxford.
- Physiological Society
I teach a wide range of topics in a wide range of modules, but my main areas relate to renal and gastrointestinal physiology, and human anatomy.
Undergraduate project topics:
- AQP2 expression and shuttling, in the mpkCCD c14 cell line
- School Director of Taught Student Education - School of Biomedical Sciences
- Member of Faculty Taught Student Education Committee (Director of Student Education: School of Biomedical Sciences)
- Member of Undergraduate School Taught Student Education Committee (Director of Student Education: School of Biomedical Sciences)