Dr Christos Pliotas
- Position: Lecturer in Integrative Membrane Biology
- Areas of expertise: Mechanosensitive Ion Channels; Electron Paramagnetic Resonance (EPR) spectroscopy; PELDOR; DEER
- Email: C.Pliotas@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 1229
- Location: 6.41b Garstang
- Website: PliotasGroup website | Astbury Centre profile | Twitter | ORCID
I joined the University of Leeds as a Lecturer in Integrative Membrane Biology in September 2018. I graduated from the University of Athens with a BSc (Hons) in Physics. I then obtained an MSc in Medical Physics and PhD in Biochemistry from the Institute of Medical Sciences (IMS), at the University of Aberdeen before undertaking a postdoctoral joint appointment at the University of St Andrews in James H. Naismith FRS (structural biology) and Olav Schiemann (pulsed-EPR) laboratories.
Following my postdoctoral work I was awarded an independent 5-year research fellowship from the Royal Society of Edinburgh and started my own group as a Principal Investigator at the Biomedical Sciences Research Complex (BSRC), at the University of St Andrews, in January 2016.
- Academic Lead Administrator for Summer Vacation Studentships Scheme
The research of my group is focused on elucidating mechanical sensing and regulation of ion channels.
Mechanosensation is the ability of channels to sense and respond to changes in membrane tension by opening their pore, through which ions and molecules flow.
The main method we employ in my group to investigate gating of mechanosensitive channels is Pulsed ELectron-ELectron DOuble Resonance (PELDOR) spectroscopy, (also known as DEER), complemented by Cryo Electron Micrsocopy (CryoEM) and Electrophysiology to structurally and functionally characterise these systems.
Pliotas Group members
Bolin Wang (2nd year PhD student)
Yue (Mary) Ma (2nd year PhD student)
Charalampos Kapsalis (3rd year PhD student)
Tiange Li (2nd year PhD student)<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://biologicalsciences.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD, Biochemistry, Institute of Medical Sciences, University of Aberdeen
- MSc, Medical Physics, Institute of Medical Sciences, University of Aberdeen
- BSc (Hons), Physics, University of Athens
- Royal Society Newton International Fellowships Committee (Biological Sciences)
- Biochemical Society
- Biophysical Society
- Centre of Magnetic Resonance (CMR)
I presently teach in Scientific Skills module (BMSC1103, BMSC1213, BMSC2120) and Topics in Pharmacology (BMSC2230)