International support and opportunities
Leeds is a welcoming, diverse and popular destination for international students. We provide a wide range of support available to help you adapt to life in the UK and make the most of your time here.
Moving to a new country is exciting, but at times it can be daunting. Our international support team is here to help you make a smooth transition to your new environment. Our welcome team and International Student Office can help you get started when you arrive in Leeds and offer support for international students all year round. There are many places on campus to ask for help if you have a question, along with services to support students during their studies. You can get information from our website for current students on all the support on offer.
You can find advice on planning your travel to campus, what documents and other things you need to bring and information on arriving in the UK. If you have questions about immigration advice or preparing for Leeds you can contact our Student Visa Advice or International Welcome teams.
You will also find quiet spaces, prayer facilities and faith-based support to give you the chance to take a break, reflect and connect with local faith communities.
As a Leeds student, you will have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to come across people from over 150 different countries as part of our Global Community. Why not find an opportunity to learn a language, become an ambassador, take part in groups, festivals, trips or find an exchange partner?
The Language Zone is free and open to all students at Leeds. You can access free language learning materials and advice, and attend groups and workshops to learn a new language and develop your language skills. You will also have the chance to work or volunteer in an intercultural setting, which can provide a great opportunity for you to meet people from the local community, develop language skills and gain new experiences. Some of these opportunities include:
- Intercultural Ambassadors – this programme offers both UK and international students the opportunity to volunteer, bringing intercultural awareness to our campus and community;
- Students into Schools Go Global – gives you the opportunity to volunteer as part of a team to plan and deliver fun, educational after-school clubs in local primary and secondary schools;
- Welcome team and social assistants – Each year we recruit teams of students and recent graduates to support new international students arriving in Leeds.
We also organise regular events and opportunities on campus, in the city and beyond, for you to discover, create, share and celebrate all things intercultural and international. Some of these opportunities include:
- Global Café – our weekly event where the UK and international students can relax with friends and meet new people whilst enjoying free refreshments;
- Trips – escape from campus for a day and enjoy some time outside Leeds with students from all over the world on trips organised by Leeds University Union or Get Out, Get Active’s programme of activities;
- Out of term activities – even throughout holidays in winter, spring and summer, we organise activities programme for all students, postgraduate researchers and their partners and families.
Find out more about Global Community opportunities.