Top 20 for Biosciences
One of the world-leading faculties within the life sciences in terms of our research power, subject diversity and teaching excellence. All our courses are at the forefront of knowledge, so you'll be taught by leading experts with their teaching content reflecting the latest developments in the fields of biological sciences and sports and exercise sciences.
- Top 20 in the UK for Biosciences – Guardian University Guide 2022
- Top 30 in the UK for Biological Sciences – Complete University Guide 2022
- Top 25 in the UK for Biomedical Sciences – Complete University Guide 2022
- Top 40 in the UK for Biological Sciences – The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022
- Top 15 in the UK for Sport Science – Complete University Guide 2022
- Top 15 in the UK for Sport Science – The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022
- Top 20 in the UK for Sport Science – Guardian University Guide 2022
- Top 100 in the world for Sports-Related Subject – QS World University Rankings by Subject 2022
- Top 100 in the world for Life Sciences – Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2022
- Top 200 in the world for Biological Sciences – QS World University Rankings by Subject 2022
- Top 150 in the world for Life Sciences and Medicines – QS World University Rankings by Subject 2022
The University of Leeds is a Russell Group University whose reputation and achievements include:
- Top 100 university in the world – QS World Rankings 2022
- Top 25 university in the UK – The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022
- Top 20 university in the UK – QS World Ranking 2022; Complete University Guide 2022; Guardian University Guide 2022; THE World University 2022
- Top 5 most targeted by top employers – The Graduate Market 2022, High Fliers Research
- Top 10 for employability in the UK – QS Graduate Employability Ranking 2022
- Top 100 university in the world – QS Sustainability University Rankings 2023
- Top 20 university in the UK – QS Sustainability University Rankings 2023
Global Community awards
- Using data from the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, the University of Leeds is ranked 37th in the THE Most International Universities in the World 2022.
Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2021
Our academics were returned in four different Units of Assessment (UoAs), with the majority in UoA5 (Biological Sciences) and UoA24 (Sport and Exercise Sciences, Leisure and Tourism).
- In these two UoAs, 88% (UoA5) and 95% (UoA24) of the research submitted was judged as ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’.
The majority of research publications (outputs) submitted were rated as either ‘world -leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’ - (86% (UoA5) and 92% (UoA24)).
Every six years, the UK’s four higher education funding bodies undertake an exercise to measure the quality of research undertaken by UK higher education institutions (HEIs). The funding bodies use the outcomes to inform the allocation of their research funding to HEIs. The Research Excellence Framework was the framework used in 2021.
The quality of our research and the funding it attracts means we’re able to invest in world-class facilities and academic staff who are actively engaged in cutting-edge research. As a result, you’ll be taught by internationally renowned, inspirational academics working at the forefront of their fields – academics who share your passion for the subject.