Dr Jessica CF Kwok
- Position: University Academic Fellow
- Areas of expertise: Perineuronal nets; plasticity; glycosaminoglycans; extracellular matrix; spinal cord injury; memory and ageing
- Email: J.Kwok@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 9802
- Location: 5.55f Garstang
A neuro-/glyco-biologist focusing on enhancing plasticity for central nervous system pathologies.
BSc in Biochemistry - University of Hong Kong (Hong Kong).
PhD in Biochemistry - University of Hong Kong (Hong Kong).
Postdoctoral scientist - University of Cambridge (UK).
Visiting scientist (2015-2018) - University of Grenoble Alpes (France)
Visiting scientist (2017-2022) - Institute of Experimental Medicine, Czech Academy of Sciences (Czech Republic).
The role of chondroitin sulphates and perineuronal nets in spinal cord injury and memory
We aim to decipher the role of chondroitin sulphates (CSs) for a multitude of pathologies in the central nervous system (CNS), including spinal cord injury, ageing, memory and neurodegeneration.
News from the Kwok group:
Epilepsy Research UK award ceremony (17th May 2018):
Perineuronal nets and motor neurons:
- Awarded a project grant from the Leverhulme Trust on "Biopolymer physics defines perineuronal net morphology and synapse formation".
Chondroitin sulphates in the central nervous system
Chondroitin sulphates belong to the family of glycosaminoglycans (GAGs). CSs are covalently bound to a core proteoglycans forming chondroitin sulphate proteoglycans (CSPGs), which are abundant in cartilage and CNS. In the CNS, CSPGs are strongly up-regulated after spinal cord injury in a structure called glial scar. Removal of CSs in the glial scar promotes neuronal regeneration.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://biologicalsciences.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
Undergraduate project topics:
- Projects in all of the above areas are available. Enthusiastic and committed students are encouraged to contact me via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Postgraduate studentship areas:
- PhD position is available. Please follow this link: https://www.findaphd.com/search/projectdetails.aspx?PJID=68430
- Enthusiastic and committed students are encouraged to contact me via email: email@example.com